Type 2 Diabetes Recipes ~ Mixed Berry Jam I have been craving jam and scones for quite some time, but because of the sugar and carb content in these two, very delicious, foods, I haven’t
Type 2 Diabetes Recipes ~ Mixed Berry Jam
I have been craving jam and scones for quite some time, but because of the sugar and carb content in these two, very delicious, foods, I haven’t been able to enjoy them. In my research into what I can and cannot eat, I have discovered that Banting foods are diabetic friendly!
So without further ado, here is the Scandalous Scones recipe I found on The Banting Blondes. It’s absolutely delicious and I have added some sharp cheddar cheese, fried onion and crisp bacon bits to it before baking too. Super yummy!
The Strawberry Jam recipe I found I used as a basis for my own jam. Instead of making strawberry jam, I made a mixed berry jam.
Type 2 Diabetes Mixed Berry Jam
- 1 bag frozen fresh berries (Strawberries, blue berries, raspberries)
- 45 ml xylitol
- 15 ml vanilla extract
- Bring the frozen berries to boil, crush the berries with the back of a wooden spoon (for a smooth jam, I used my stick blender to make a puree)
- Add the xylitol and vanilla extract and leave to simmer till it thickens
- Pour into a sterilized canning jar, seal and leave to cool before storing in the refrigerator
- Once it has been in the refrigerator for a day or two and has thickened, spread a teaspoon of jam on half a scone, top with double cream yoghurt, or whipped cream, and enjoy. These are delicious!