High cholesterol levels can lead to various health issues. Making you susceptible to several serious health diseases such as coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure, it is extremely important to keep it under control.
During my Vitality Wellness Check Up I discovered that I have high cholesterol. It was a scary diagnosis, but one I know can be beat naturally by eating the correct the foods.
But how can I manage it naturally?
What can and can’t I eat?
Is there a supplement I can take daily to help lower it?
Cholesterol is a type of fat in your blood. Although your body makes all the cholesterol it needs, you also get cholesterol from foods you eat. Your genetics, age, diet, activity levels, and other factors affect your risk of developing high cholesterol.
High cholesterol is one of the major risk factors for heart disease. It increases your chance of developing heart disease and having a heart attack. It can also raise your risk of stroke. In particular, high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol raise your risk of these conditions. LDL cholesterol is often called “bad” cholesterol.
How to Manage Cholesterol Naturally
Diet and lifestyle changes
Adopt healthy lifestyle habits is key to help you manage your blood cholesterol levels.
Doing the following, for example, will lower your cholesterol levels:
* Stop smoking.
* Lose excess weight.
* Exercise most days of the week. I try and get at minimum of 5 000 steps in a day. I know its not enough, but it is a start and its better to start off slowly, than put undue stress on your heart in the beginning.
* Eat heart-healthy foods, including foods rich in soluble fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
* Limit your consumption of foods high in saturated fats. For example, substitute olive oil for butter.
* Eliminate trans fats from your diet.
* Drink alcohol in moderation.
* Take steps to reduce stress.
Which Foods Should I Eat
If you want to lower cholesterol, diet is key. Here are the top foods and nutrients that can naturally lower cholesterol:
* Foods High in Omega-3 Fats:
Here’s a list of the top 15 omega-3 foods (percentages based on 4,000 milligrams per day of total omega-3s):
Salmon Fish Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Alaskan Salmon (wild-caught)
Other Natural Sources of Omega-3
Nuts and Seeds with Omega-3s
Vegetables – Some of the vegetables highest in omega-3s include Brussels sprouts, kale, spinach and watercress.
Oils — Lots of oils contain omega-3s to some degree, including:
* Foods high in Soluble Fiber:
* Olive Oil
* Garlic and Onions
Which Foods Should I Avoid at all Costs
Avoid these bad cholesterol foods at all costs:
* Sugar and refined carbohydrates
* Hydrogenated fats
* Caffeine (THE HORROR) – Limit coffee and tea to 2 cups a day. This is honestly the one thing I battle with the most. Cutting down my coffee and tea intake has proven exceptionally difficult.
* Trans fats
Which Supplement do I Take Daily
Taking the right supplements and natural remedies an help lower cholesterol levels if combined with a healthy diet.
* Lecithin (500 mg daily) – I take this with my daily medication. It has also helped quite a bit with my mental exhaustion. The difference is astounding.
* Fish oil (1 000mg – 2 000mg daily)
* CoQ10 (200-300 mg daily)
* Niacin (1,500 mg daily)
* Red Yeast Rice (1200 mg 2x daily)
* Garlic (500 mg daily)
* Lavender essential oil has been proven to lower cholesterol levels because it decreases emotional stress.
* Cypress essential oil lowers cholesterol because it improves circulation.
* Rosemary essential oil reduces cholesterol because of it’s unique anti-oxidant properties and is cardio-supportive.
Many of the foods that are listed above I cannot eat because of my diabetes and have been eliminated from my diet. I am eating the foods I can and cutting out the foods I cannot.
Its a lengthy process, but I’ll get there, eventually.
I am heading back for another Vitality check next month to check my cholesterol again. I’m hopeful that the changes I have made will show some results already.
Remedies for high cholesterol
Lower Cholesterol Naturally and Fast
Here’s How To Lower Cholesterol Naturally With Food
15 Home Remedies to Naturally Reduce Cholesterol
Natural remedies for high cholesterol levels
11 foods that lower cholesterol
Six Super Foods That Actively Help Lower Cholesterol
13 Cholesterol-Lowering Foods to Add to Your Diet
The Trouble with Triglycerides
25 healthy foods to lower your cholesterol
Lecithin Improves Cholesterol Levels
20 Ultimate High-Fiber Foods